Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Tutemwane.

Tutemwane, let's love eachother. No more competing, Pete.

First of all, while Gillian is very excited about posting, I feel shy, nervous, and as though I might relay everything in an inadequate manner. But here I sit, typing away anyways... I hope you're pleased.

Time is bizarre, I'm obsessed with calculating how long since I've left, how long I've been here, how much longer until I move again, etc. I'm trying to conquer this ever-present thought pattern, as one would suspect that living in the moment is a great deal healthier than allowing one's mind to drift from past to future all of the time, but kicking this habbit is harder than I'd like to admit.

My body is my own again, and I'm very thankful. I no longer feel the need to be in bed by ten after nine, and I've recently remembered how I usually walk. There's still the odd vitamin deficiency, or malaria pill side-effect, but I'm feeling more and more like myself everyday. (Good thing it's only taken me 3 and a half weeks.)
Speaking of malaria med. side-effects, I've failed to have a sleep since I've left that wasn't filled with crazy dreams from start to finish. I've always been a dreamer, but never before have they been quite so action-packed, filled with random aquaintances and strangers, and had so many movie-like special effects. If you've been a part of my life in any form over the last 14 years, it's very likely that you've been a part of one of my dreams. I'm definately enjoying them, and I'll be very disapointed the first morning I wake up to realise that my sub-conscious entertainment has slowed down.

Gillian and I found a sign for a Baptist church in Emasdale, near where we live, and decided to check it out last Sunday. Much to our delight, we found a mere 40-50 people crammed into a small room sitting on pews lined with multiple hymn books. It was really wonderful to be able to go somewhere where we didn't know anyone, and where no one was expecting us. People were very friendly and welcoming, as is very common here in Zambia, and many of them wanted to talk with us afterwards to hear our story. We weren't meant to sit upfront as special visitors, or asked to share in the service. We were normal people, who went to a new church on Sunday morning. It made me think a lot about home, and once after closing my eyes during a prayer, I was shocked to find myself surrounded by Zambians when I re-opened them again. It was very interesting for me to realise that up until that service our experience with Christians in Zambia had been mostly limited to one end of a spectrum of believers here. That's all I can muster to say about that one.

I'm still loving the babies, it's going to be very sad to leave them here... Today Gil and I took two of them for a walk, it's sad that a boy over two years of age is shocked by what the sky looks like. I've started to become quite overwhelmed at the delays that many of the babies have because of the way life works in an orphanage, but we've also seen many improvements in the 3 weeks we've been working, and of course there are many rewards that come along with their snotty, poopy selves.
Many of the women we work with are quite fascinating, and it's neat when they tell us some of their thoughts. The sister in charge, Irene is wonderful. Recently we were talking with her about the orphanage system and the young women having the babies, and the subject of abortion came up. It's mind-blowing to realise the possible connection of abortion rates to the fazing out of orphanages in Canada. Here, in Zambia, where abortions are illegal, it makes sense that there are many babies being left in the hospitals, or abandoned other places shortly after they are born. In Canada, most of the babies that make it to full-term are the ones that the mother wants. So, probably we don't need to focus ourselves on adopting all of the African babies... I don't know, but when Irene heard us making this connection, she told us to convince the mother's to keep them and then send them here. She said, "I'll take them." Interesting, and slightly backwards, to think of Canadian babies being raised in Zambian orphanages...

There's much more to say, but I'm becoming overwhelmed with shyness and I'm running out of time.

I'd really like a cold glass of soymilk, a carrott, some jalapino chips, and chocolate covered coffee beans.
I watched 3 chickens get their throats slit, and hated it.
We had to learn an African dance at a bridal shower infront of 300 women.
We're starting to hate our filtering waterbottle, it hurts my mouth.
I'm beginning to look right first before crossing the street.
We're back to our normal "I hate the morning" selves.
I'm excited.
I love very much.
Send me your thoughts, your life's happenings, your learnings... but don't send it on faceboook, because it doesn't work here.

Hoping you're well,
Krista
xo

10 comments:

Jacob said...

I'm envious of your dreams. Are you keeping a dream journal?

Lindsay said...

Krista. I am glad you are having adventures and not dying in Kenya. I hope you are embracing your shyness.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kreesta ...

I have to say that reading your post very much reminds me of talking with you ... it seems naturally you and it makes me smile!

It's great to hear you are feeling stronger again, I was hoping your lethargy wasn't going to go on as long as you were taking the malaria pills. It sounds like besides helping your system fight malaria critters they are providing you some bonus entertainment ... who needs TV? I look forward to hearing about a few. And what do you make of only seeing people from the last 14 years ? ...

I had some good news yesterday ... I will be interviewing for the internship in Red Deer I was hoping for next Tuesday. Please pray if you get this in time. It would be very part-time for 6 months then dependant on how the fit has become but either way would be great experience.

Mom and I are going on a retreat the weekend after next ... looking forward to some committed couple's time. Lisa will be in Colombia and Kate and Jenn will stay with friends. Treble will probably stay with my cousin since we just looked after their dog (120 lb black lab) while they were in the states for a week.

How satisfying to hear of the changes you see in the kids you are helping with. It wouldn't surprise me at all if your love and touch has saved lives already! Not to mention the hope that comes from knowing people half way around the world really do care. May the Lord continue to bless.

Thanks for posting, we really enjoy hearing your stories and being able to update any who ask about you. I know a little of the 'shyness feeling' you mentioned now just as I'm about to post my personal comments for the world to see ... oh well, I guess my life is for sharing ... thank God for community, even virtual ones! Bye for now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista

It is good to hear from you and Gill, I get very excited when I read about your time there... it makes me feel good knowing you guys are doing what you are doing... and it makes me wish i wasn't stuck doing school/work.

Be well, eh, keep lovin' them babies

Josh

Candice said...

Hi Krista!!!

Anonymous said...

okay, okay, no more competing. for the record though, i think you guys are still winning. look forward to seeing you soon.
-peter

Unknown said...

So what part did I play in these crazy dreams of yours? :)
It's awesome to read how your all being used out there in different areas.
You are missed and loved dearly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kreesta. I was glad to here that you have your own body back. I know what that feels like after only a seven hr drive. Not to mention a 9 hr difference & half way around the world! I see your dad filled you in on all that is happening. So just remember ...you are daily in our prayers & look forward to each new blog from both you Gill & Peter.
Blessing from afar
Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Revelstoke Grandma checking in again! Thought you would like to know we have had another 30cms. of snow. We should be skiing until June - come join me???
I am so enjoying your messages. I have the feeling you are finding your adventure a very humbling one. Certainly an expansion on how we are all called to serve.
Have you expanded your food choices?? - guess it isn't chicken!!!As a young girl I had to do exactly as you described only we used a hachet and REALLY enjoyed my Moms Sunday Chicken dinners!!!
My neighbour and I are off to an East Indian special dinner tonight- Samosa anyone.
Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Happy Valentines to ALL of you with love and admiration for your choic e of services.
TUTEMWANE - I hope that means loving you!! in case it doesn't I do Love you very much!!
Grandma from Revelstoke.esy

Anonymous said...

Good day my darlin',
Shy you might be but oh, your words have moved me. I can feel your growth through your words. How I wish there was a Krista who came to the orphanage when I was a young child, to hold me, love me and see me. You have imprinted yourself on these tiny hearts even if their mind's will not remember you, their souls will never forget you.
I'm so proud of you and happy for you on this extraordinary adventure.
I'm here in Three Hills to see Lisa before she goes on her own adventure.
You both humble me and are great teachers to me. But then you always have been.
I love you lots!!!
Pat