Saturday, February 2, 2008

Two weeks down.

Well, I've been at the mission station at Chitokoloki for two weeks now so I guess that means it's time for an update. Let's start on today and work backwards. Today was saturday, which is kind of a half-day here. We finished tiling the guesthouse we've been working on today, and all we have left to do is grout on monday. there's also the bathroom to do, but the toilet got put in 3" too high, and they're waiting to decide what to do about that. the interesting thing is that we're preparing the house for a girl that's coming from ontario, but she already arrived last week. oh well, that seems to be the way africa is. the house should be ready for her to move into sometime next week. After work I went for a walk to the shops and got caught in the rain, so i ended up hanging out with Zambians for several hours. The young people complain that there aren't enough jobs here in the country, and many seem to have ambitions of moving to the big city of Lusaka to make their lives. I played with a bunch of shopkeepers children who wanted to practise their english. They have several phrases memorized that they resort to when they're stuck, but my favorite was one that I was asked several times after we had learned each others names, "Mr. Peter, what is your name?" Yesterday was friday, and Matt the bricklayer departed for his wife and home in jolly old england. Gordon got nervous about how work would go with Matt gone, so he suspended all work on the new duplex until further notice. Since my tractor was out of commision and work had halted on the new duplex, I returned to tiling the guesthouse with Ron and two new team-members. Work was slow since we had to find all the tools again and get back into our groove, but I learned how to use the tile cutting machine and had a lot of fun with that. The day before that was thursday. It was Matt's last day of working, so everyone was trying to ram-jam as much as possible on the new building before he left. I hauled a bunch of sand and bricks with my team, but at the very end of the day I ran over a steel dealie hidden in the grass and blew a tractor tire. oh no, what will i do with my days now? only what i've just written earlier in this very post will say. Since it was Matt's last day we watched Fargo together for a little roomate last-minute bonding time. the day before that was wednesday. my memory fades with time, but i'm sure i spent it ram-jamming sand and bricks with my team and tractor. tuesday preceded wednesday as did more of tractor work. at this point i'm sure i've overlapped with my last post, and if you want to keep reading you can just continue down the page as time continues to flow backwards as the elevation of lines on your computer screen decreases. thank-you for your comments help and let's all keep this competition alive. remember, only you can post several comments right now. and until next time:
Peter out.

8 comments:

L'Afrique Bonanza said...

What is your favorite colour?

Anonymous said...

You definitely know I'm not playing along with that garbage. Though, I know what will be most dominant color as they said of the primary colors 74% of Canadians said it was their favorite.

Anonymous said...

I forgot that my post was supposed to have a point, that didn't involve playing along with cheap tricks to get a thousand comments (Though, your plan has worked perfectly, as you now have two comments out of it. And pretty decent ones at that sir!). Anyways, just wanted to say I never heard of this blog, so I'll try and catch up on it sometime soon. You must have gmail then eh Pete? You gotta get me that address.

Anonymous said...

Pete, sounds like your doing a bang up job over there (the good kind)

just doing my part,

Josh

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete,
You have been in our thoughts quite a bit. It should almost be a relief to have a burst tractor tire, so that you can get some rest and do a variety of things. Hopefully it can be fixed though. You seem to have been working extremely hard and probably in hot and humid climate. The mission and you must be glad that you can be so useful.
Will continue to pray for the rest of the trip.
Great that you could meet Gillian and Krista.

With love
Estelle

Candice said...

Ha - I just e-mailed you about all your activities, and THEN read all about them, without waiting the day between! Wish I was there with you...

Candice said...

Today I think perhaps the green of my spider plant. It did take me awhile to decide though.

Anonymous said...

Dear Krista, Gillian and Peter - no favoritism see!!
Hello from Revelstoke Grandma in the snow zone - 4 meters so far but the good thing is it makes for excellent skiing!!
With a lot of help from your Dad, your Blog site is now at my friend Irenes. Thank you so very much for sharing.Hearring about your wonderful (and maybe some NOT so wonderful) experiences. How I wish I had started doing what you're doing many years ago.I'm so very proud of ytou all!Most of all, I;m sure those babies are the REAL winners receiving all your love, care and attention.
And, Peter I never drove tractor til I was 12 yrs., so guess theres no point in me applying for that job!!!
Good on you all!I'm so very proud of you. Thanks for providing the Blog - it makes it much more comfortable for worrisome Grandmas!!! Love always, Revelstoke Grandma