Monday, January 21, 2008

GoGoBaby

Krista here,

I have survived and enjoyed my first week in Lusaka, Zambia.
Gillian and I are staying with a Zambian family who are involved in Campus Crusade. Including us there are 14 people living in the house (and multiple visitors coming and going all of the time -but it seems to somehow work better than our late ComHo. Our first couple of days were a little crazy -learning how to communicate, how to be dependant, how to take the crazy minibus and manouver our way through the muddy, rainy-season streets.
We've now settled into working at a baby place called House of Moses.. there are 34 babies there, from one week up to two years. They have been short staffed from quite some time, so it's nice to be a help. Basically we feed, and play with the babies all day -and take breaks to fold laundry.
I love babies.

We had a surprise visit from our dear friend Peter, the 40-year-old Safari man in his collered shirt and tilly hat, on Friday. Turns out his guest house was a 15 minute walk from the House os Moses -I suppose this wasn't really a surprise because everything always works out for Pete. He showed up at baby-place and we spent the afternoon with him, getting some tasty treats and bringing him home to meet our family. Of course, he immediately became a celebrity with them. It was a very rejuvinating visit -a reminder of who I am. We taught him to eat Nshima, and he's already learned the most popular greeting here, (which he says to everyone on the bus, street, or in any room he's in,) so I'm sure he'll get along well in Chitokowhatawhata.

Zambians are friendly people.
I am tired a lot of the time.
And also probably the most introverted I've been in a while.
Soooo shy. But getting better.
We have lovely friends.
I have mett my favourite little girl ever, Mwila, the 3-year-old in our home who hisses, and growls, and attacks everyone -but always makes me laugh.
I am well, and learning.
This is a lovely addition to life.
I love love love you.

Our number is:
097 621 0038 We don't have to pay anything for your incoming calls. Remember that we're 9 hours ahead of you here.

Gillian....

Hello lovelies. We don't have much time as our babies are awaiting us. So, i will say this:

I'm learning to pick up babies by their one armpit because i'm holding another on my arm.

Night terrors from cockroaches creeping along the window above our bed

just discovered copious amounts of belly button lint (guess the single bucket bathing system doesn't reach all areas...)

I have to speak at a church next Sunday so please pray for me. People here believe that |God calls you to ALL ministries, not just the ones you feel compelled to. So, as a result I am speaking to a church and feeling badly a littel because i think my faith is much different than the Zambians. God has given them the gift of Faith in the most full sense I have seen in my life. I am so doubting of belief most of the time and here I see the goodness of unshaken belief. I didn't know that I would ever say such a thing is good but here I do. Zambians need to believe in God absolutly and in his goodness absolutly in order to survive. I see that God in his mercy has enabled them to do so. Consquently - what can I, with my constant half-thoughts have to say to encourage these incredibly optimistic people? We shall see...

The family stare at us all the time and are fascinated with the variations of our bodies. For example - these 'red' marks on my face??? what are these? Having to identify my pimples as such is not incredibly plesant. But hilarious all the same. And these brown spots (moles) and this hair? Does it grow this way or do you cut it?

The girls greet us each morning before we are out of bed and crowd into our room - a strech for Krista and I as I'm sure anyone whose lived with us will understand!!

Mostly I'm very happy to be here. Just sometimes feel alientated by the difference in how we understand God and how he works in the world. This is my hardest thing thus far.

Make us love notes on here please... This is mine to all of you.

love Gillian and Krista

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nice to hear from you ... I love having images to work with in my prayers for you ... early morning wake-ups, muddy streets, crowded transit busses, bucket baths, cockroach parades, baby cuddling ... and unshakable faith that is ministering to ministers. It sounds like you've begun a wonderful adventure ... thanks for being willing and trust you are in our prayers.

Dad (Takkinen)

Anonymous said...

Gillian: I made a bit of a mistake and posted my comment to the 1st entree about travel plans, so rather than repeat it - check there. Love you. Mom

Jacob said...

I confess I'm not well practiced in making love notes. Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Perhaps not in front of thy parents.

What you say about faith intrigues me, and I would like to hear more about the faith of the Zambians - how it differs from that of the Canadians, why it is necessary, and what you think of it. If I understand you, their faith is very "childlike" (or "blind", or "Orwellian"), which it seems to me is both the best and the worst kind of faith - the best because it gets things done, the worst because the things it gets done are often horrible.

Forgive me. You asked for love notes; I don't suppose you expected the Spanish Inquisition. (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! But I think it is not unrelated to the topic at hand.)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Kricket and Giller. God made the blood powering your body! So be confident, holy-veins. I'm happy for you and my eyes shine to think of your adventures in Elephant World. I'm praying for you. Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gill,
Janess and I are keeping tabs on you and thinking about you. Have an amazing time.
eric

Anonymous said...

It was very nice to read your messages. Its sounds like it is very good. It makes me simultaneously miss you, want to join you and be very glad that you are where you are in the world.

I said I would post a job change. Job changed. I'm currently at McCauley (I was so excited when they offered it to me). I'm not sure for how long I get the blessed experience. I'm the ESL TA and the children are so lovely... from somalia, china, vietnam, myanmar, and the middle east... with exciting names that are hard to learn... Eh pla set soe for example. Its a pretty crazy school but I am loving it so much. I hope that through some wonderful twist of fate I can stay there. I suppose if God wills.

Be well. You are well loved and missed.

ruthey

Anonymous said...

hiii.. i finally figured out how to locate this site. it turned out to be very easy. i loved reading your notes, it makes me long to be there with you and hold little children by the armpit and help you pick the lint out of your belly button. hm. its exciting to hear of how you guys are being stretched and pretty exciting and scary. i'm going into the dumpsters tonight to look for felt, wish me luck. i love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Gillian and Krista -
So good to hear of your adventures and how it is making an impact on your life - especially how faith is shown! We worship the same God and it is good to learn to see God from a different perspective.
Keep us posted... I am learning through you.
We love you,
Stan and Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Gillian and Krista,

I had lost your blogspot address but got it from the church bulletin today. So great to read about all your work and adventures. I can imagine how tiring caring for 34 babies and children can be and the noise level must be something else. Will be praying for lots of strength. These times will create very valuable memories for both of you.
I think you are experiencing what you were looking for nm to experience Africa in its fullest and orphans are certainly part of that. How wonderful that love transcends all languages and cultures and that you can spend your love on the orphans, whose biggest need is love.

With love and prayers
Estelle