Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Post from 23 Jan 2008

Chitikoloki

Well, I made it. I stayed in Lusaka just long enough to find Krista and Gill and buy them some $4 milkshakes and go see their living situaion. It’s a good thing Gill and Krista are such extroverts! Quite crowded, but at least they have a room of their own. The people they are staying with seem very friendly and quite fascinated with our white white white girls.
So, on Saturday I drove up from Lusaka to Chitioloki with Gordon Hanna and some supplies. It was quite an amazing drive and we did see an elephant, a snake, several deer-type creatures, but the best part was the road we took. I already knew Gordon was quite an aggressive driver from riding along on errands with him in Lusaka, so I was ready for an adventurous drive through the wilderness, and Gordon did provide. Full speed ahead through swamp and sand and bushes, sometimes not even turning the wipers on for a few seconds after crashing a puddle just to heighten the suspense. Add that to the wild Zambian landscape with all of it’s trees (Joel knows what I mean) and whatnot – probably one of the best 12 hour drives of my life.
We arrived in the afternoon and Gordon gave me a quick tour. The setup here is a largesh looking hospital that consists of 3 buildings I think, along with several houses for the missionaries, a guest house for visitors, another guest house that we are renovating, a large shop, several storage buildings, a pool that I just discovered today (that’s right, a pool! Gated, with several lounge chairs, and just the right temp. of water), and various other buildings that I’m forgetting. There’s also a brethren assembly where most of the missionaries attend. I have a room in the guesthouse with an English chap named Matt who is a bricklayer. I’ll fill you in on more as I find out.
Peter out

7 comments:

Jacob said...

I envy you for the following reasons:

Jacob said...

1. Driving adventures

Jacob said...

2. Trees

Jacob said...

3. It's like -30 in Edmonton

Jacob said...

(This is not an exhaustive list)

L'Afrique Bonanza said...

What is the airspeed velocity of a coconut-laiden swallow?

YSTBMIL said...

Ok Peter, I'll bite although I'm not sure why. It depends whether the coconut is on skewered on the beak of the swallow or being carried by it's feet. The air velocity would be much greater for the bird carrying the coconut on it's beak as it would be pulled straight down into a beakdive offering little air resistance on the way down. The trip would be fast but, alas, rather short. The one carrying it in it's feet would, on the other hand, have more air resistance as the downward pull would be spread across more of the bird's body so it's air velocity would be less offering a more leisurely and scenic descent but the trip wouldn't be near the rush.